In 2011, Founder Matthew Bell brought an idea to Christian Hedwitschak for a bodhrán that used interchangeable synthetic skins. No professional player had suggested this idea before, and no bodhrán maker had attempted to build a professional-level instrument using this concept. After multiple conversations and many prototypes, Christian and Matt finalized a new, unique skin holding and tuning system, and new frame construction for a bodhrán utilizing standard aluminum- collared synthetic drumheads. Matt and Christian enlisted the help of Dave Loyal and Stevie Moises, and in the spring of 2016, the Rebellion began…
- Rebellion Drums Bodhráns are designed to meet the needs and standards of contemporary percussionists.
- Our flexible design can use any 14″ synthetic drumhead, allowing you to tailor your own individual sound.
- Do you want a deep, attack-heavy sound with short sustain, like a compressed heavy metal bass drum? How about a sound that is tonally close to goatskin? Do you want to try timpani-style calfskin sound? An effects head with jingles or snares? How about a virtually silent practice head? These are all possibilities with Rebellion Drums Bodhráns!
- The unique bayonet ring skin holding system allows incredibly fast tool-less head changes.
- Our bodhráns are completely vegan. We use no animal products in the skin, frame, glue, or surface treatment.
- All of our design elements work in harmony with sound being the first and foremost consideration.
- Our bodhráns speak clearly at all dynamic levels and with any type of stick. They present a pleasingly musical sound across the entire frequency range, without any tones that stick out from the mix.
- The bodhráns weigh enough to feel solid, but they are light enough that traveling with them is easy.
- The size of the bodhráns is universal. They are big enough to give power to the sound, but small enough not to be overwhelming in a session or acoustic environment.
Meet the Rebels
Skin modification / product design and development/publicity
Drum frame production / product design and development
Skin modification / product design and development
Frame shaping of WAVE model bodhráns / product design and development
All Rights Reserved
Photos, logos, texts and product names: copyright by Matthew Bell of contemporarybodhran.com / Celtic Percussion Collective, LLC, USA
Frame construction, bayonet skin holding system, tuning system are intellectual property of Christian Hedwitschak of Hedwitschak Drums, Germany.
Remo®, Skyntone®, and Diplomat® are trademarks of Remo USA